Tuesday, October 04, 2005

welcome to october

... and it's welcome kinsman, playoff baseball.

How the White Sox can beat Boston:
  • Score first - the Sox played their best ball when Podsednik's speed led to early runs, forcing the opposition to press against excellent pitching and usually airtight defense. Early leads also mean not having to come back, which the Sox have no great ability to do. I mean, Carl Everett's swing can't get any bigger, can it?
  • Late inning bullpen matchups - particularly Cotts and Marte against David Ortiz, AKA the most dangerous hitter alive. I'm getting ulcers thinking about the shaky Marte against baseball's current version of Michael Jordan.
  • Carl Everett - I hate to say this, but the Sox are going to need another bat to come alive, and it might have to be Everett, since Boston will most likely pitch around Konerko. This is assuming that Ozzie doesn't do something stupid like putting Aaron Rowand or Everett in the 3 hole, in which case Boston won't pitch around Konerko cuz he'll be batting with 2 outs and no one on base since Rowand/Everett will have grounded into a double play. No, I'm not bitter at all.
  • Pitching and defense - you know. Those things you've been doing all year. No need to stop now
I'm too stupid to pick a winner, but I think the series goes all five games. I can't believe that missing their closer (Foulke) and having Schilling at less than 100% won't hurt them, but Ortiz and Ramirez scare me. Also, it doesn't take a lot of pitching to shut down the Sox offense. 0-0, 1-0, 2-1 scores in the bottom of the 7th might be a frequent occurrence.

Also, slightly annoyed by all the Yankees/Red Sox love. I feel like all the media outlets are talking about how classic another NYY/Bos ALCS would be. Screw you guys.

No matter what happens, I'm going to enjoy being there to sit and take in playoff baseball, with my hometown team actually participating. I'll be there with my lucky Sufjan shirt.