Wednesday, November 02, 2005

keeping it real

I was talking to Jill, and we both agree that it's weird not to have baseball to watch. But I guess I'll take that as long as we won the World Series. That's not going to get old anytime soon. By the way, totally fell asleep Monday night analyzing the Sox roster, which means none of you are as big of a nerd as I am.

Saw one hellacious set by Broken Social Scene on Friday. Crazy loud (who plays trumpets into microphones?). I tend to think of their songs as turning into chaotic sonic goo the further they go, but Durty thinks it goes the other way, from organic soup into a cohesive bang. You're deaf either way, but it's still great to listen to. I always think of BSS as perfect driving music for a sunny autumn afternoon. It has that dreamy, hammocky feel to it.

Ditched my civic duties of candy-distribution to minors by holing up in a bookstore and reading through Gabriel Garcia Marquez's latest, Memories of My Melancholy Whores. And the first line is:

"The year I turned ninety, I wanted to give myself the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin."

Priceless. Fortunately, he doesn't do, and finds himself re-living, and re-loving life, at the age of 90. It's good stuff, and got me to check out Of Love and Other Demons from the library.