Wednesday, April 26, 2006

looking for land mines

It was a grueling weekend. As someone who works with Catholic youth, I was sent to a training session for child sexual abuse awareness, in the hopes of eventually training others in it also. Anyway, 8 hour sessions of horrifying anecdotes and shocking statistics pretty much did me in. My friend, who dragged me into this whole thing, said afterward, "where's the tallest building?" Indeed.

On the bright side, I got to connect with some high school principals, which resulted in some phone calls about jobs... but not teaching English. I dunno, at some point, maybe I'll just get the message that I shouldn't be doing this. I'd rather quit after having tried it, tho. Why don't people want me to teach English? I promise I won't be the *worst* teacher you've ever hired. Um, also I'm male and not Caucasian, so maybe I can help your quota out that way too. You wouldn't believe how many times my being male and not-Caucasian has been assumed as something that should help me. I dunno what to tell you, but it hasn't really worked out. But, considering my cold streak, I could probably apply to an all-Asian American Catholic boys writing school at this point, and still miss out.

Also, I don't know how I feel about this movie.

I'm a little worried at Ozzie's insistence of using the "Sunday lineup" more than once a week, the Sunday lineup being any combination of Pablo Ozuna, Alex Cintron, AND Rob Mackowiak all playing at the SAME TIME. I don't have a problem with resting your starters after a long postseason and a short offseason.

I know the Mariners and the Royals suck. I know that every day, we send out at least an average to above-average starting pitcher. I know the defense is pretty bulletproof. But really, can't the starters take turns having days off? Do I really need to see a lineup that has, consecutively, Mackowiak, Cintron, BAnderson (altho he's coming out of his slump), and Ozuna? We're playing offense 9 against 5. We don't need to sit 3 starters at once, outside of injuries. Cuz even Babe Ruth and Konerko will slump eventually, and the collective balance of the everyday starters will be necessary.

But no one, justifiably, has sorrow to spare for the defending champions, who, coming into Wed night, have the best record in the AL at 14-6. We're a long way from calling off the season.