Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Kong

...which takes me back to lovely memories of former schoolmate Eddie Hong. I miss you, King. And your enormous pythons.

Excellent flick; the only real problem is it's 3. Hours. Long. I've already sat through the dinosaurs, the bugs, Skull Island natives who look like orcs, and the near-shipwreck when I realize that crap: We haven't even made it to New York yet.

As far as I remember, this is the best combo of live-action and digital effects that I've seen. There weren't as many obviously patched scenes, and I didn't notice "green screen stare" too often. (Star Wars is an atrocity on this front). There weren't as many signature Peter Jackson annoyances, either (unnecessarily pervasive slow-mo, actors with mouths half-open staring into space, hobbits about to make out, etc.).

I liked that the last third of the movie had extremely little dialogue. Props to the Best Blond in the Business for making TLC with a giant fake gorilla believable.