Thursday, December 01, 2005

same great taste, much more filling (baseball post)

White Sox re-sign Konerko for 5 years, $60 million. I think most of us are aware that we don't live in a perfect world, so Konerko getting about $12 mill/per is about right, although the chances are good that he's not worth that in the last two years of the contract. The brighter side of it is that Thome and Konerko will hopefully spend their remaining productive years together. One note, however; I'm getting irritated at media (local and national) sticking Thome in the 5th spot behind Konerko. Nuh uh. I want the on-base machine as high up in the order as possible. I think it'll look more like this:
  1. Podsednik (L)
  2. Iguchi (R)
  3. Thome (L)
  4. Konerko (R)
  5. Dye (R)
  6. Pierzynski (L)
  7. Crede (R)
  8. Anderson (R)
  9. Uribe (R)

Other baseball-related rumination:

- For once and flipping all, I don't want Frenchy on the South side. I do want another bullpen arm and some bench depth, considering the championship run didn't heal Crede's two herniated discs, and last year's roster didn't particularly weather Podsednik's absence very well. (Bringing back Tony Graffanino or Kenny Lofton would be delicious irony).

-I'm sad that Brian Giles re-signed with Saaan Dieaaaaahgo. In the cavern the Padres play in, Giles will have no shot at all at making the Hall of Fame.

-The new hotness, other than Frenchy, is batting Brian Anderson or Uribe second to drop Iguchi down in the order. Let me wipe the blood from my eyes first. Batting hacktastic maniacs second ahead of the big bats will pretty much negate whatever Thome adds to the mix offensively. I don't think anyone wants to revert to the Cubs' "solo shot by DLee" approach to scoring.

-The best rumor so far of the offseason is that Manny Ramirez might not go to the Angels (which is scary enough), nor the Mets (the most money) but actually to the Phillies (for Lord knows what). I'm sad at the thought of Big Papi breaking Bonds' walk record when Manny leaves.