Monday, February 27, 2006

gatball

One of the places I've been interviewing at, asking whether I'd consider sponsoring various clubs (depends), coach volleyball (sure, I played before), or coach baseball.

Huh?

I don't remember putting anything about baseball on my resume or application materials, not even under "nerdy obsessions."

I first think, no. I didn't even play Little League. I've played in church leagues and intramurals during undergrad.

Then I think, wait. This could potentially be ridiculously awesome.

Visions of Gatball swirled in front of me. Gatball (TM) would mostly consist of meticulously memorizing baseball stats from say, the last 25 years or so.

Who was the NL Rookie of the Year in 1987? Benito Santiago, fool! Who was the AL Cy Young for 1993? Black Jack McDowell, friends. (Greg Maddux won in the NL, which kinda made Chicago the center of the pitching world, I guess.)

The major downside to coaching baseball would be having to wear the uni, for sure. There's no way anybody looks good wearing those. There's something weird about having a non-athlete go through the rigor of wearing an ill-fitting uni. We don't do it any other sport, so why does baseball insist? They could wear comfortable althetic gear, like football coaches do, would definitely make a lot more sense.

Anyway. Something to shoot for. I already know I can do a better job than some people. Ahem.

(He has a hitting video that he sells on his website. Can't wait to get to the section on "Batting hacktastic free swingers with no plate discipline at the top of the lineup because they have speed." Or, maybe, "the Everyman Baseball Proletariat Ethic of Jose Macias," and "The God-man: Neifi Perez.")

God bless ya Dusty. I'll continue to keep my non-dark skin out of the sun while I work on the tenets of Gatball (TM).