Tuesday, March 21, 2006

potpourri

Watching some horrendous movie on HBO (King Arthur, I think) with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley. Keira comes on the screen just as my mom rolls through.

mom: (stares at screen) Is that the girl who steals?
me: What?
mom: You know. The girl that steals. She shoplifts. It was on the news.
me: ... You mean Winona Ryder. (I point) That's Keira Knightley.
mom: She looks like the girl who steals.
me: That's Winona Ryder. She's American. Keira Knightley is British. (I'm not sure why that's helpful to say)
mom: Oh. I don't know her. (looks more) She's not very pretty.

On second thought, she might not be so far off.


----

I was sitting in the library, reading John Irving's The World According to Garp. I look up to stretch out my neck, and directly in my line of sight, I see an older man, bespectacled, neat mustache, probably in his late 50s, wearing a bright yellow shirt with palm tree prints crisscrossed on the front. The weird thing is that between he and me is a potted plant that actually closely resembles the plant life on his shirt. Basically, he's wearing the perfect camouflage for anyone seeing him from my angle. Good thing I could see him.

---

V for Vendetta is worth seeing. Pretty straightforward plot but with some interesting things to think about, and more about Guy Fawkes than you ever thought you'd know. It was nice to see that Hugo Weaving could shed his Agent persona for once, unlike in LOTR. Not seeing his face helped. That seems like something fun to say.

"Hey, can you do me a favor?"
"Sure."
"Can you just cover your face, so I can pretend that you're not you?"
"..."
"It's cuz when I see your face, all that comes to mind is YOU, and I'd rather think of, I dunno, somebody else, like a vigilante that throws knives but still has your cool voice."

I accept that Natalie Portman is beautiful, but the shaved head only emphasized how much she really is, actually. The poverty embellished what's left. Anybody can look presentable under the glam makeup and professional stylists, but it's hard to negate the baldy. It's different than the normal Hollywood uglification.