Monday, June 05, 2006

credo

"I felt a deep moral obligation to my students; that is why I spent so many hours in preparation for each class. In an age of social justice one phase that seems neglected is the moral duty of the professors to give their students a just return for their tuition. This applies not only to the method of teaching but to the content as well. A teacher who himself does not learn is no teacher. Teaching is one of the noblest vocations on earth, for, in the last analysis, the purpose of all education is the knowledge and love of truth."

--Archbishop Fulton Sheen

Thank goodness for great weather during the Printer's Row Book Fair, which led to great purchases, like the pearls of The Quotable Fulton Sheen (which yielded the above), some Graham Greene, my own Moby Dick (apparently, I might be the only person who likes it), and some kids' stuff for the goddaughter, all for $25.