Sunday, September 18, 2005

Illinoisemakers


... as in, Sufjan Stevens and the ___________ . I was worried that a guy who mostly sings in resonant, dense whispers would have a hard being heard, let alone keeping my attention. There was a bit of a lull in the middle, but the choreographed cheers about Peoria and other Illinoisian parts unknown kept me going when the trumpet, trombone, piano, xylophone, and five-part vocals didn't. An extremely satisfying show. And if they were selling those "I" tshirts pictured above, they woulda sold like crack hotcakes dipped in KFC batter. Sufjan is self-effacing and stage-shy, and therefore won the crowd over. Genie, go out and buy the album.

I should have brought my camera.

Going to see the Sox take on second place Cleveland Monday night. Which brings me to the pressing White Sox Issue of the Moment:
Are the White Sox going to lose the division?
The answer is no, with reservations. It's possible, but if they simply split the six games remaining with Cleveland, then they gain no ground. Cleveland has to win at least four out of the six for any real chance. So, I think the Sox are safe. Barely. What's going against the Sox is that (I'm shaking my head in disbelief as I type this) no starter has been particularly good except for Jose Contreras and Scott Podsednik's Faustian deal for stealing bases has apparently come due.