Saturday, September 02, 2006

fantasy football draft day is like christmas

Some people wake up on a glorious late summer/early autumn Saturday morning and sip in the sunshine from mowing the lawn, wiping the last suds from the hood of the car, or leisurely leafing through the paper on the patio.

Not me. I rolled out of bed, landed on the "power" button of my laptop, and drafted my customary random league football team. Who needs a girlfriend/hobby/breakfast?

I've already drafted in my keeper leagues, which have been, conservatively speaking, Hindenburg level disasters. How does this happen? 1) You don't make it to one of the drafts because you're picking up your little priest brother from the airport, leaving you to the fickle whims of Fraulein Auto Pick and 2) keeper leagues horde running backs the way third world dictators collect weapons grade plutonium. I'm pretty sure right now there's a waiver claim for Shaun Alexander's 2 yr old daughter. It's crazy. My off-time happiness shouldn't have to depend on the performance of Wali Lundy, or how gimpy Corey Dillon is feeling.

Sticking myself in a random redraft league of complete strangers gives me the chance to start afresh, unburdened by the failures/legacies of the previous year, and to (hopefully) whoop up on 5th graders and old ladies. Hey it's still competition; if they don't want to get BEAT, they should STAY HOME and play Risk. Picking 5th in a 10 team league.
  1. Ronnie Brown, RB, Mia - didn't want Edge (crappy OL), Portis (bum shoulder). Maybe should've taken Rudi? Argh. Fantasy sports always seduces you with potential.
  2. Lamont Jordan, RB, Oak - decent pick, but I don't like how he faded at the end last year, and the Raiders always seem to bring out the underachiever in everyone. In other news, somebody takes the Chicago defense in this round. This is going well.
  3. Chris Chambers, WR, Mia - ready to make the leap, with a real QB throwing to him finally.
  4. Roy Williams, WR, Det - nervous about this one cuz he gets hurts, but still banking on the Lions' new Rams offense to put up numbers.
  5. Donald Driver, WR, GB - Favre doesn't throw to anyone else.
  6. Willie Parker, RB, Pit - was looking to take one QB out of Brady, McNabb and Bulger, but lo and behold all 3 get taken right before. Parker's a good value, but I'm going to be mixing and matching QBs all year.
  7. Kurt Warner, QB, Ari - Ugh. Too bad this isn't 1999. I'm still tailspinning from not getting a QB last round and how many good RBs are still left on the board. I still need to brush my teeth.
  8. Chris Cooley, TE, Was - Never mind that an Asian guy is drafting a "Cooley."
  9. Lawrence Maroney, RB, NE - this year's LJ. On the other hand, what I am doing taking my 4th RB in the 9th round.
  10. Matt Jones, WR, Jax - Secret weapon #2, after Maroney. Could wrest away the "Best White Wide Receiver" title away from Joe Jurevicious.
  11. Chris Simms, QB, TB - Is Kurt Warner 5 picks better than Simms? No. I'm an idiot.
  12. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Car - My fav sleeper pick. I can't help myself from picking these; I'm like the guy that takes four too many free samples at the grocery store. By the way, I can only start 2 out of 37 running backs that I now have.
  13. Kevin Curtis, WR, StL - Might vie for "Best White Wide Receiver" in a few years. Joe Addai, another sleeper RB, gets taken right afterward. I feel sad.
  14. Washington defense
  15. David Akers, K, Phi

I need to trade some of my RBs for a better QB. Carson Palmer, I'm looking at you, boyeee.