Monday, September 25, 2006

potpourri

Played volleyball last week without damaging any major body parts. Only some of you have any idea how momentous that is. My brother and I were talking about how sad it is that our physical peak was, like, age 18-21. Not that we're professional athletes, but that seems way too small of a window.

If you ever had any doubt, don't ever, ever mess with the Madden Curse. As videogame savvy as most football players are, you'd think they'd eventually refuse to be on the cover. They can't MAKE you be on the cover of anything, can they?

I really like Canadian trance nerds the Junior Boys. I also really like the aptly named, Jet-but-better-guilty-pleasure Dirty Pretty Things. They make driving to and from work much easier to bear. And I am entranced by the soothing lilt of Priscilla Ahn, whose last name allows me to indulge in the idle fantasy of being married to a singer/songwriter, you know, the one who'll put you in the liner notes in the part where she thanks everyone, writing a cryptic line like "Thanks for warning me about the purple alligators" and only you know what the heck that means in the first place.

I've tried bringing in music to class, but the speakers are limited to small ones connected to the teacher's computer, and most of the kids bring their music players anyway. I'm curious as to what they listen to.