Sunday, October 01, 2006

Pirates and Knights and nights oh my

It's been a strange week of retro themes. Went on Friday to check out the Variety Show at my school (I notice that I'm slowly relying on my work for all of my friends, off-time entertainment, etc. This freaks me out a lot, but more on that in some other post), which had a pirate theme to it. What did I happen to be re-watching this past week? Pirates of the Caribbean. Yarr.

Woke up in time on Saturday to catch Jordan's birthday at infamous suburban kitschfest Medieval Times. What was I watching the week past? First Knight. Oh yeah. And we got yelled at by the Harry Potter-lookalike security manager who thought our party was getting a little too rowdy, although our Green Knight hero thought we were "awesome. I even told the security guys to leave you all alone."

It was way too much fun, and now I'm itching to get every good knights-in-armor movie, although, really, there aren't too many great ones. Braveheart is the best of that breed, in terms of combining an interesting story with medieval battle action and with elements of knighthood. The old school Arthurian movies don't really hold up in terms of the action (Knights of the Round Table) while the newer ones are lush to look at, but empty of story (Kingdom of Heaven, King Arthur) and some are just a little different (The Princess Bride). Probably the best recent knight/medieval movies are the LOTR trilogy, and the knighthood stuff was overshadowed by the elves and the hobbits and such.